Monday, December 8, 2008

CAPE HATTERAS & FORT BRAGG SPEECH #2

MY BOARDING TEAM SHOW AND TELL
INTRODUCTION
One of my many jobs at the station is being a boarding team member. It is a gratifying job and has so many different responsibilities. I enjoy this job and will be giving an example today of a Coast Guard boarding of a small fishing vessel.
BODY I
Before a boarding takes place, I must put on certain clothing and don weapons. I first put on my bulletproof vest which goes under my blouse. I then strap my weapons belt around my waist. [Bring these things to hold in hand and demonstrate] ... continue on with speech...part I.
BODY II
Before boarding a vessel there is one question that must be asked--Without reaching for or touching, are there any weapons on the boat or yourselves?  We ask that question to ensure the safety of our boarding team and others present. After an answer is given I can proceed with the boarding. I then begin by checking the boat crew's identification papers and registration forms. I enter both into MISLE, a computer documentation device used in Coast Guard Boardings. [Hold MISLE up for all to see]...finish part two of speech body.
BODY III
After completing the boarding and returning to the station, I do the following:...list and discuss.
CONCLUSION
Being a boarding team member at the station is fun and rewarding. There are so many different kinds of people on these vessels boarded. This makes the job never the same. The federal maritime laws would not be of any value unless we conduct these boardings to check up on these vessels.

No comments: